We provide various services for residential properties, For example:
• For people moving house we offer Structural Engineering Reports on the property you are buying. This is a very wise investment and a small cost at this stage could save you money in the long run.
• We can also save you money by designing out problems from your project at an early stage – no matter whether you’re extending, altering, removing a wall, or installing a swimming pool in the basement!
• We can provide the design calculations and drawings you’ll need to submit for Building Regulations approval.
• We conduct site investigations to identify the existing soil and foundation conditions and can help if your builder discovers unexpected problems during construction.
• We can act as a Party Wall Surveyor, and provide expert advice on the legal rights and responsibilities imposed by the Party Wall Act.
The process of converting or extending your property can have many stages:
“Removing or altering a load bearing wall without those loads being properly supported is not only illegal but it can be dangerous and a recipe for disaster. Before planning to remove any walls it's best to consult a structural engineer.” Sarah Beeny
We can help at every stage of this process, from initial discussion with your architect, and creating design calculations/drawings for submission, though to site visits to liaise with your builder during construction.
When moving house you may need a Structural Engineering Report on any property you buy or sell. Find out more about our SER service here.
Building projects between adjacent neighbours can involve legal rights and responsibilities under the Party Wall etc Act. We can give Party Wall advice on all aspects of this issue,
Combining two rooms into one or converting your basement into usable living space can make a huge difference to your home. We’ll prepare the structural engineering drawings which you’ll need for both Building Regulations approval and also for your builder to work from.
The alterations to this house combined a rear extension with opening up the existing living area. The design of the supporting steelwork over the large span bifold doors is critical in order to limit the deflection.
Another bespoke rear single storey extension together with internal kitchen alterations required our structural design.
We were delighted to be the structural engineers working on this award winning extension incorporating a new conservatory and terrace.
This extension required both Planning Permission and Building Regulations approval. Because the existing and new roof had raised ceilings there engineering design was more complicated in order to minimise roof spread.
These alterations only required Building Regulations approval. In order to open up 4 small rooms into one large kitchen/family room we designed 3 beams and a column to support the first floor structure above.
The work we did for this new build private leisure complex included a pool, gymnasium and games room as well as substantial modifications to the listed manor house itself to which underground access was required.